Earlier this year, Mary Meeker’s report suggested that mobile web usage surpassed desktop internet usage in India.
Mobile internet is clearly growing at an astonishing pace exceeding all expectations. Do you realize that this growth is slowly replacing traditional media consumption patterns?
A study by adtech company Kontera released some statistics on mobile consumption based on data from its 15,000 publisher partners in the US.
Mobile web traffic is up 430% between January and July this year and mobile web browsing now accounts for 22% of web traffic. The numbers are only expected to grow to 27 percent by the end of this year. This clearly explains why publishers are raring to go mobile.
Apart from revealing these astounding numbers, the company also uncovered a few mobile web usage trends in this study.
- Mobile internet usage peaks during the evening and prime time hours – the traditional TV domain
- iOS devices like the iPhone and the iPad are used more than Android devices during prime time
- iPads are used the most during leisure hours
- Desktop content usage is the minimum during leisure hours in the evening
Fun-to-know mobile web statistics
Serious mobile web trends aside, the report also had a few fun-to-know numbers about internet usage on mobile.
- Content which was targeted to moms were predominantly accesses through iPhones
- Android was used more than the iPhone when it came to reading content related to tech, telecom, sports and B2B
From being parallel consumers of mobile and desktop internet, readers are slowly moving towards a mobile-only world. In many developing nations, the majority of mobile web users are mobile-only. A study reveals that the highest number of mobile-only users are in Egypt at 70% followed by India at 59%.
With smarter phones replacing smartphones, the mobile content market is all set to grow at a breath-taking pace. Are you all set to face it? You need a mobile presence today more than ever. If you are looking to build your own mobile website, here are a few tips that might come in handy.
Read this article at http://www.business2community.com/mobile-apps/is-mobile-web-replacing-desktop-internet-0293316#TjiXSPP8UiUzTfEJ.99