allAfrica.com aggregates, produces and distributes 2000 news and information items daily from over 130 African news organizations and their own reporters from 54 countries in Africa to an African and global public. allAfrica operates from Cape Town, Dakar, Lagos, Monrovia, Nairobi and Washington DC.
“Considering the sizing complexity of the task I am pretty impressed with the way the entire team at MobStac pulled it off”
- Reed Kramer, CEO, allAfrica Global Media
When allAfrica realized that a sizeable section of their traffic – one-third of their visitors read their stories on mobile phones, they decided to create a full-fledged mobile website. Bringing a large volume of content which ran across 120 sections approximately into a mobile phone was a huge task in itself. Categorizing them into easily navigable sections and creating an optimal reading experience across devices was yet another challenge.
allAfrica launched their MobStac powered mobile website in English in early 2012 and they launched the mobile version of their French website soon after. Here are a few highlights of MobStac that Reed Kramer, the CEO of allAfrica Global Media appreciates.
- Updating large volumes of content in real-time
- Keeping allAfrica’s mobile website in sync with their desktop site and updating content in real-time is very important
- DFP support
- allAfrica wanted to build its mobile revenue channel by integrating with Google’s DoubleClick for Publishers and MobStac enabled easy integration of DFP for enterprise publishers like allAfrica
- Multi-language support
- Creating allAfrica’s French mobile website was extremely easy with MobStac’s multi-language support
- Diverse device support
- 20% of allAfrica’s readers use Opera Mini browser to access their website on feature phones. Since MobStac works well with smartphones and feature phones with Opera Mini browser and tablet devices too, it worked as the best solution for allAfrica
- Responsive support
- The team of support engineers at MobStac helped allAfrica throughout – from channelizing the RSS feeds into various sections to integrating ad networks and guaranteeing 99.99% uptime till date
One-third of allAfrica’s traffic is a large number of readers using a mobile phone to access the website. The mobile monetizing opportunity has grown commendably over the year and with integrations like DFP taking effect, the mobile revenue channel is set to grow exponentially.
“20% of our readers use phones with Opera mini browser and since MobStac balances very well between smartphones and feature phones, it worked as the best solution for us”