HTML5 with its many new syntactical features is fast changing the way developers create applications for the mobile Web. With its numerous benefits like phone to tablet portability, added interface improvements and increased size of app catalog, HTML5 ranks high among other mobile development platforms.
Here’s more on the new game changer in the mobile device space.
What is HTML5?
HTML5 is the fifth revision of the HTML standard language designed for the structuring and presenting of content for the World Wide Web. HTML5 was developed as a response to its immediate predecessors HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.1, and includes detailed processing models to encourage more interoperable implementations. It extends, improves and rationalizes the markup available for documents, and introduces markup and APIs for complex web applications that include mobile phones and tablets.
Why is HTML5 so popular among the user/tech community?
HTML5’s popularity as a programming language lies in the fact that apart from providing users with an opportunity to exploit the advantages of the entire web (for example: cross platform compatibility, updatability, centralization, web metrics, etc.), HTML5 is fully loaded with an extensive range of features that outshine previous versions.
The HTML5 web toolkit is equipped with top notch tools that include Detection Techniques, Modernizr (an HTML5 detection library), Canvas, Canvas Text, Video, Video Formats, Local Storage, Web Workers, Offline Web Applications, Geolocation, Input Types, Placeholder Text, Form Autofocus, Microdata and History API.
The biggest advantage of HTML5 is the functionality that is built into it. This helps web developers create applications which display fluid animations, stream video, play music and integrate with social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook.
Why is HTML5 fast becoming the most preferred mobile development platform?
HTML5, built on the success of HTML 4, is fast becoming the preferred mobile development platform of web app developers. Here are the top reasons as to why HTML5 stands out among the rest.
- HTML5 allows you to detect support for individual features: Developers often wonder about the usability of HTML5 incase older browsers don’t support it. But this doesn’t prove to be a hindrance since HTML5 can detect support for individual features like canvas, video, or geolocation.
- HTML5 allows for further improvement of web applications: HTML5 supports new input controls as well as all the form controls from HTML 4, with new additions like sliders and date pickers.
- Upgrading to HTML5 is easy and won’t break your existing markup: HTML5 contains only one doctype and upgrading to the new doctype won’t break your existing markup since all the tags defined in HTML 4 are still supported in HTML5. Additionally, HTML5 allows the user to use and validate new semantic elements like <article>, <section>, <header>, and <footer>.
- HTML5 is well-supported: HTML5 lets you play video, design better forms, draw on a canvas, or build web applications that work offline and is well supported by Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer 9 and other mobile browsers.
- HTML5 is here to stay: With consumers using faster and more reliable connections like 4G or LTE and HTML5 allowing developers to create apps much like they create web pages, HTML5 will be used all the more in the future.
- HTML5 helps companies save money on developmental costs: HTML5 allows developers to code only once, thus enabling companies seeking a mobile presence to save on further developmental costs.
At MobStac, we help you reach your mobile audience through HTML5-enabled devices. Our mobile publishing platform is available in just three easy steps. Take our product tour or you could take your website mobile right away!